Friday, January 7, 2011

Family Recipe Friday - Blond Brownies


My husband’s Aunt Joyce passed away last May after a valiant struggle with Huntington’s disease. Joyce’s life wasn’t always easy; I think in some ways we didn’t really get to know her until we were given the task of going through her photo albums and personal papers. 

Joyce always had a camera at hand. I suspect she wanted to be a professional photographer, but life’s circumstances did not allow her to follow that dream. We are thankful, however, that she documented family events using her wonderful photographic skills. 

Joyce was loving, caring, and always available for her nieces and nephews.  And, could she bake!!!  Her cakes and pies were renowned. But the most requested item for family gatherings was her Blond Brownies. 

We miss Aunt Joyce’s mischievous smile and her telling us to, “Say Cheese!” But she will always be close when we make her Blond Brownies.

Joyce Maki’s Blond Brownies
Mix Together:
1 cup flour
1/8 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
½ cup chopped walnuts

Blend:
½ cup melted butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 beaten egg
1 tsp. vanilla

½ pkg. chocolate chips

Melt butter and remove from heat. Mix in sugar. Stir in beaten egg and vanilla. Add dry ingredients a little at a time. Mix well. Spread in a greased and floured 9” square pan. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

This recipe is so good you will want to double it!

6 comments:

  1. Blond brownies were a family favorite I used to make years ago. I had completely forgot about them. Thank you for reminding me - I think I'll make some tomorrow!
    Regards,
    Theresa (Tangled Trees)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some chocolate chips in the freezer - I think I will do the same on this very snowy afternoon. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would butterscotch chips be good too? This sounds like a wonderful mouthwatering recipe! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marian: I think they would work beautifully. Try it and let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for posting this. Blondies are one of my all-time favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greta: I am so glad to know that you enjoy them, too. And I am sure Aunt Joyce is smiling down on us.

    ReplyDelete