Friday, April 29, 2011

Sports Center Saturday - James Monroe High School Swim Team - 1937


1937 Swim Team, James Monroe High School
Bronx, New York

Tomorrow is my father’s birthday.  Edward Francis Nunn was born May 1, 1920 to Mary (Doyle) and Harry Nunn in Manhattan, New York. At the time of his birth, the family, which also consisted of my uncle, Harold “Bus” Nunn, lived with Patrick and Maggie Doyle in their Manhattan apartment. That summer the Nunns moved to their Cruger Street home in the Bronx. All this I learned from genealogy research; Dad never talked about his growing up years.

Consequently it was not long ago I learned my father was on his high school swim team, and I found this great photo. It then made sense why I have always loved to swim – it’s in the genes!

In honor of Dad’s birthday I post this photo of him with his 1937 swim team at James Monroe High School in the Bronx, New York.  Edward Nunn is in the second row, third from the right.  There are some names on the back of the photo. They are: “Ike” Siegel, “Dizzy” Fishman, Jos. McCarthy, “Kid” Warose, Voltaire Nathan, Irving Zucker, Nathan P. Chambers.

Happy Birthday, Dad!

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful photo and a great way to honor your father! As you know, my mother went to James Monroe also (graduated earlier than your dad). It was a fine school in those days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marian: I thought it was a great photo and I do have the yearbook if anyone needs a graduate photo from that year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary- Just sent you an email. I am a writer and biographer for the actor Jules Munshin (Easter Parade, On the Town) and my research tells me he may have attended this HS from 1928-1934 isn. If anyone out there knows a little about him I'd love to talk to you. Great pic BTW!
    TONY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony: You and I exchanged emails and I do hope you find a repository that has these yearbooks. I am very surprised the library has only the one year.

      Delete