Church Dedication – 1946
The community of Jacksonville and its minister, Rev. Arthur Moody realized a dream that they have had for more than a year when the new sanctuary and the repaired and redecorated church was dedicated Sunday, March 31, 1946. The dedication service was held at 10:30, conducted by Bishop W. Earl Pedden of Syracuse with Dr. Harold Stearns of Geneva District and Rev. Arthur Moody, assisting.
The bishop preached the sermon. Two choirs furnished the music. The Sanctuary Choir, directed by Herbert Haight (20 voices); the Chancel Choir (12 voices), directed by Charlotte Schubert, Mrs. Margaret Crumb, organist and Mrs. Hope Knight, pianist. Miss Jane Dillingham of Binghamton, violinist.
Dinner was served at the home of Mr. and Mrs. C. O. Carman to the Building Committee trustees, finance committee, official board and their husbands and wives. Between 40 and 50 attended.
Bishop and Mrs. Sedden and Dr. Harold and Mrs. Stearns and all officers sat down to a fine dinner.
After dinner, the Carmans held “open house” to all the friends of the church and community.
Dr. and Mrs. Rowe came for p.m. and stayed to lunch.
The evening service was held at 7:30 at the church. Dr. Benjamin Rowe of Newark, former District Superintendent of Elmira District preached. The sanctuary choir furnished the music. The churches of the vicinity were invited to the service.
Rev. Richard Henderson, rector of the Church of the Epiphany, brought greetings from the neighboring congregation. There was a full house both morning and evening.