Monday, June 22, 2015

Sarah H. Tucker and Dewitt Burnham Harvey


This couple has stumped me before, and they are proving difficult again. Here is what I have been able to glean:
 
Sarah H. Tucker, the sixth child of Ezra and Caroline (Lanning) Tucker was born in 1847. She married Dewitt Burham Harvey between 1870 and 1873.  They had one son, Howard Tucker Harvey (b: 16 September 1874).[1]  I believe Sarah died in 1875, after the census was taken as she is shown in that census living with Dewitt B. Harvey and his brother, Edgar B. Harvey.

Following Sarah’s death, Howard was sent to live with his grandparents, Ezra and Caroline Lanning Tucker. We find Howard in that household in 1880 at the age of four. In 1896 Howard married Frances “Frankie” T. Cowen. Frances was born in 1870, died in 1934. Howard Harvey died in 1930 and they are buried in the Hayts Cemetery, Ithaca, New York.

I then find a Dewitt B. Harvey married to Ida L. Harvey and they state they were married in 1873 though their first child is not born until 1877. Dewitt is listed in a number of family trees on Ancestry, and all, but one, show his marriage to Ida, not Sarah. Today when I searched on Howard instead of his father, Dewitt, I found a tree that included my Sarah H. Tucker as the first wife of Dewitt. I sent an email to that person (who seems to log in regularly) with the hope she might know the rest of the story.

At this point I believe Dewitt Harvey died in 1909 and is buried in the Mecklenburg (NY) Union Cemetery.[2]



[1] WWI Draft Registration for Howard Tucker Harvey.
[2] Findagrave.com entry for Dewitt Harvey.

2 comments:

  1. In the Havana Journal, October 23, 1875, there is brief article about the death of Mrs. Harvey, wife of Dewitt Harvey, who died o on October 6th. It says that she died at her residence in Enfield. Also states that she was married for about one year. Trying to paste the link below but found at Old Fulton Postcards.
    I am researching the Doolittle, Tucker connection to my son-in-law's line.
    Steve

    http://www.fultonhistory.com/Newspaper%2018/Havana%20NY%20Journal/Havana%20NY%20Journal%201870-1876/Havana%20NY%20Journal%201870-1876%20-%201127.pdf#xml=http://www.fultonhistory.com/dtSearch/dtisapi6.dll?cmd=getpdfhits&u=6b29d0b4&DocId=3719865&Index=Z%3a\Index%20I-E-V&HitCount=2&hits=a61+a62+&SearchForm=C%3a\inetpub\wwwroot\Fulton_New_form.html&.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve: Thank you so much for this information. I do utilize Fulton History, so must have not entered the right search terms. It is THE go-to website for Upstate New York ancestors. This article will confirm what I suspected. Thanks again!!!

    ReplyDelete