Sunday, March 24, 2013

Amanuensis Monday - Lewis Halsey Wortman


Last Will and Testament of Lewis Halsey Wortman
25 November 1880

I, Lewis H. Wortman of the Town of Ulysses, in the county of Tompkins and State of New York, aged sixty three years and upwards and being of sound and disposing mind and memory do herby make publish and declare this my last will and testament as follows.

That is to say:

First I give and bequeath to my wife Phebe A. Wortman the use of all my property including my farm in Ulysses during her natural lifetime. She to have control and charge of the same.

Second after the death of my wife, I give and bequeath to my two sons, William Wortman and Menzo Wortman my farm of about fifty acres upon condition hereinafter named and to be divided as hereinafter stated with whatever personal may be left after the death of my wife Phebe A.

Third I give and bequeath to my daughter Alice Pearsall after the death of my wife Phebe A. four hundred dollars to be paid to her as hereinafter stated by my two sons equally each paying one half or two hundred dollars of said sum in the following manner to wit one year after the death of my wife my sons aforesaid are each to pay to my daughter Alice, fifty dollars or twenty five dollars each and annually thereafter a like sum until the four hundred dollars is paid without interest until each payment become due the last payment becoming due eight years after the death of my wife.

Fourth In dividing my farm between my two sons it is my will that William shall have the west half and Menzo the east half where the homestead buildings now stand and that Menzo shall pay to William twenty five dollars a year for eight years after the death of my wife making two hundred dollars in all without interest until due for excess of value of east part on account of buildings.

Fifth I hereby nominate and appoint my wife Phebe A. Wortman of Ulysses aforesaid and her son-in-law Madison Covet of Troy, N.Y. as executors of this my last will and testament. In witness whereas I have hereunto subscribed my name this twenty fifth day of November in the year of our lord one thousand eight hundred and eighty.

                        Signed: L.H. Wortman

The above instrument consisting of on half sheet was subscribed by the above named Lewis H. Wortman in our presence and in the presence of each of us and he at the same time declared it to be his last will and testament and requested us to sign the same as subscribing witnesses.

James Milne of Ulysses Tompkins Co. NY
A V. VanLiew of Ulysses Tompkins Co NY 

No comments:

Post a Comment