Monday, July 25, 2011

Amanuensis Monday - Shaw-Burdick Engagment


While visiting my sister-in-law last weekend I noticed she had a memorial booklet for the celebration of the lives of Eleanor Edith Burdick and Stanley Wilson Shaw.  This couple interested me because they met in 1937 at Sheldrake Point on Cayuga Lake, one of my favorite spots, and just a few miles from where I grew up.

Upon Eleanor’s passing in 2007, her daughters went through the family documents and found a number of letters written by their parents to each other during the 1940s and 1950s.  The booklet is a beautiful tribute.  The engagement announcement for Eleanor and Stanley was included:

Engagements
Shaw-Burdick
Mr. and Mrs. Horace Burdick of Ithaca RD4 announce the engagement of their daughter Miss Eleanor E. Burdick to Stanley W. Shaw, son of Mr. and Mrs. Seneca Shaw of Trumansburg. No date has been set for the wedding.  [Wedding occurred 31 August 1940]

No comments:

Post a Comment