Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Books - 52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy



I couldn’t let this prompt pass me by.  Several titles come immediately to mind when I think of my favorite childhood books.  For Christmas 1951 my great-grandmother Jessie Agard gave me a hardcover copy of Robert Louis Stevenson’s A Child’s Garden of Verses.  My favorite poem was “The Swing.”

How do you like to go up in a swing,
Up in the air so blue?
Oh, I do think it the pleasantest thing
Ever a child can do!

I would read that poem and then look at the color drawing facing the title page. For whatever reason I was captivated by this picture.
Courtesy of Amazon.com
I am delighted these books are still available
My next favorite book was Tootle. I just loved Tootle, and would ask my parents to read it to me over and over and over again.  One time when my father asked me what I wanted him to read and I responded, Tootle, I heard him groan.  There were a lot of words and it was long for a Golden Book. 

Courtesy of Amazon.com
Order yours now! Every family should have his book!

And then, of course, was Boss of the Barnyard. What antics those animals were into.

I still have these books, as well as other well loved treasures like Ugly Duckling given to me by my first grade teacher, Marian Evans, and of course as I grew, all those horse books.

Thanks to Geneabloggers’ prompts for stirring up these wonderful book memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment