Saturday, October 15, 2016

Olive (Beardsley) Darling


Olive Beardsley
Since I mentioned the photo request for Olive Beardsley (b: 1894) in my previous post, I thought it was only fair I share that cute photo of Olive. At this point in my research I don't know a lot about Olive and her hubby, Raymond Darling, but I'm happy to share what I have so far.

Olive was the third child of Frank J. and Carrie (Tucker) Beardsley. Carrie was the older sister of my great-grandmother Jessie (Tucker) Agard.

About 1917 Olive Beardsley married Raymond H. Darling (b: 24 July 1897) of Mecklenburg, New York.

Raymond H. Darling was the son of Andrew S. Darling (b: 1867) and Ida M. Darling (b: 1875)[1] In the 1910 Darling household was Andrew’s father Hiram F. Darling, age 73. Hiram was a widower. Andrew and Ida stated they had been married seventeen years.

Olive and Raymond farmed the land, first near his family in the 1920s, and then by the 1930s they owned their own farm next door to her parents, Frank and Carrie Beardsley in Hector, Schuyler County, New York.

A year after their marriage on 22 October 1918 Raymond registered for the World War I draft. That document states he was born in Mecklenburg, NY on 24 July 1897. He had brown eyes and dark brown hair. Olive was listed as his nearest relative.[2]

Olive and Raymond had three children: Ruth E. Darling (b: 1922), Stanley M. Darling (b: 1925), and Helen M. Darling (b: 1930). 

I have since learned that this family line can also be spelled as Beardslee. It is interesting since every document I have for this family line, the name is consistently spelled Beardsley. The fun (and challenge) of genealogy is you never know what new and different information is around the corner. That's why we need to cite our sources!

Have a great day!



[1] Birth dates for Darling family are from 1910 federal census.

[2] Registration State: New York; Registration County: Schuyler; Roll: 1818988Ancestry.com. U.S., World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2005.

United States, Selective Service System. World War I Selective Service System Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration. M1509, 4,582 rolls. Imaged from Family History Library microfilm.

No comments:

Post a Comment