Monday, March 3, 2014

Matrilineal Monday - Elizabeth Nunn and Louis Siebert Wedding Photo

Elizabeth "Lizzy" Nunn and Louis Siebert - June 25, 1905
With many thanks to my new found second cousin, Marion, I know have this lovely photo of my grandfather's sister Elizabeth and her husband Louis Siebert.  Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would ever see a photo of Elizabeth, and now I have two!

Elizabeth at age 13 cared for her six younger siblings and took care of her father's affairs upon his death in June 1900.  Their mother was institutionalized following the birth of her tenth child. Upon the father's death, the City of New York Outdoor Poor arrived and took the children, with the exception of Elizabeth, to St. Joseph's Home in Peekskill, NY.  Elizabeth had a strong feeling of family, and as soon as she married, she began bringing her siblings back under her roof. 

Louis was born in 1881 to John and Barbara Sieberbental of Germany.  Louis earned his living driving an ice wagon in New York.  The horse pulling the wagon kicked Louis in the head and he died shortly thereafter of a spontaneous cerebral hemorrhage, on 22 April 1916, just three weeks shy of his 35th birthday.

Elizabeth was left with two young daughters. Thankfully the sisters and brother living with her had work.   

My cousin told me Louis was a bit of a "hot head." Elizabeth was tolerant of his outbursts, but one time she had had enough and when he complained about the dinner she had prepared, she dumped the bowl of macaroni upside down over his head!  Way to go Lizzy!!




3 comments:

  1. Elizabeth is beautiful. She looks very easy-going in the photo, very tender and gentle. It was funny to learn that when she reached her "limit" she dumped the bowl. I wish I knew the rest of the story: did he apologize and thereafter chang ehis attitude? Did she apologize? Who cleaned up the mess? Thanks for sharing the photo and story, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Lizzy! What a strong and loving woman she must have been. You are really lucky to have photos and stories about this period in your family's history :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your comments. I agree, she is beautiful, inside and out. I loved that story, and Nancy, you ask some good follow-up questions. I shall see if her grandchildren know the answers. Hoping for more stories.

    ReplyDelete