In a previous post we learn that Bordon and Clara (Terry) Hosner/Hausner split up between 1875 and 1879. We learned that Bordon went to the Pittsfield, Michigan area, met and married Netti Rundell. We know that Bordon and Clara’s second child, Ada, had died.
After her marriage broke up, Clara and daughter Myrta moved in with her parents, George and Adaline Terry of Hector, New York. Then in 1886 Clara married James K. Maus (1859-1908) of Lewisburg, PA. James was the son of Samuel G. Maus.
Early in his career James was chief clerk of the Lackawana at Elmira. He then obtained a position with the firm of Ford and Green, becoming confidential advisor and clerk to Broome County Republican Senator George E. Green. James Maus was prominent in the business and social circles of the city. He was a member of the Union Lodge at Elmira, and Press Club house committee.
Clara and James lived at 1908 Jay Street in Binghamton with her daughter, Myrta. Myrta is consistently referred to as “Myrta Maus,” so I wonder if James adopted her.
James Maus died suddenly in June 1908 at the age of 49 years. Although he had some health issues they were not deemed serious and at the time of his death, he and Clara were planning a trip to begin that very next day. Following the funeral, his body was transported to Perry City, NY.
At some point between 1910 and 1915 Clara and Myrta moved to the Lockport, New York area. Clara, noted writer and poet, died in October 1915 of acute digestion. Her brother, Hamilton Terry, was executor of her estate. Clara is buried in Grove Cemetery, Trumansburg, New York (Lot 1034). Her daughter, Myrta, of Lockport survived her. In 1920 Myrta Maus boarded with the Leonard family in Enfield, New York. The Leonards lived two houses away from Myrta’s uncle and aunt, Gillett and Augusta Hosner.
Myrta died 25 April 1943 and is buried in the Grove Cemetery, Trumansburg, New York under the last name of Hausner.