Friday, September 6, 2019

Hackney Family - Florence Smith aka Alva Mae Page and

One of the Hackney family researchers has sent me a couple of articles to share with the hope that it helps others. The particular family member's grandmother was put up for adoption as was her father. The first article is her grandmother trying to locate her birth mother, the second is her father trying to do the same thing. This is such an interesting family. 

"I am a descendant of Armour and am working on documenting my family tree.  I too was perplexed about missing census records and assume too its because he was a seaman.  There are some discrepancies in the documentation I'm finding on his mother so I'm trying to sort that our.  Hackett and Scull are the two women his father was married to so I'm trying to sort out the children.  I also can't seem to figure out what happened to Armour's first wife, Elizabeth Ackley.  I would so much appreciate you letting me know what documentation you have uncovered.  I was stuck but did some googling about the Hackney House that discovered on someone's tree, which is how I decided to google the house and came upon your blog.

"I’m trying to tie my grandmother’s connection into the family, see attached.  She was adopted.  She also put her son, my father in foster care and never came back for him, so I never met her.  I’ve concluded Armour and Elizabeth were her grand or great grand parents via DNA matching and clustering. "

Here is a second half to this story.  Its another newspaper article where my father was trying to find her before entering the military.  He died in 2003 and never found her.  I’m tracing her life and researching to find closure in honor of my dad.  Alva really had an interesting life, with Atlantic City mob connections and even cash treasures her husband had to dispose of per his will when he died.




Florence Smith seeing birth mother Myrtle Smith of Philadelphia



No comments:

Post a Comment