Thursday, June 13, 2019

The Family of Margaret Conlon


From left, Maggie (Conlon) Doyle, Patrick Doyle and ?
Margaret (Maggie) (Conlon) Doyle is my paternal great grandmother. She is someone whom I know little about. I am now revisiting this family and hope I can find the link between Edward Conlon and Maggie.

Edward’s daughter, Mary (Mae) b: abt 1902 was always introduced as my grandmother’s cousin. Mae spent her two week summer vacations with us in Upstate New York while visiting my grandmother Mary Agnes (Doyle) Nunn. I’d also met Mae’s brother Lawrence, and knew about George and Edward Conlon.

From left, Mary (Doyle) Nunn and Mae (Conlon) Harrington
 Yesterday I searched the 1905 New York State census and was surprised to find another child in the family—Anna b: abt 1903. Their parents, Edward Conlon b: abt 1873 and Mary (O’Donnell) Conlon b: abt 1873 and family lived in Manhattan.

Edward reports in the 1910 Federal Census that he is a widower working as an oiler in a powerhouse. A brother named Lawrence, age 31, is living with him.

During previous research I’d found the sons Edward and George Conlon living at the Roman Catholic Orphan Asylum for Boys in the Bronx District #35 in 1910. The orphan asylum was located on Sedgewick Avenue and Kingsbridge Road.

Where are Lawrence, Mae and Anna? What happened to the mother and where is she buried. These questions remain to be answered.

In 1915 Edward, George, Lawrence and Mae are boarding with the John and Bridget Conlon family on Wallace Street, Bronx, New York, and then by 1917 the Conlon children still minus Anna are living with Patrick and Maggie (Conlon) Doyle at 164 East 97th Street in Manhattan.

I’ve come up blank on finding information on Mae’s marriage to John Harrington, his death, and burial. I have Mae’s funeral card with the date of 11 September 1983, but no indication of church or funeral home. I know Mae Conlon and John Harrington were married between the time the census was taken in 1930 and 1935. I’ve looked through the Reclaim the Records index of New York marriages for the Bronx, but now wonder if they went to Manhattan to get married in the same church as my grandparents, St. Lucy’s. That’s my next step.

My challenge is to connect Maggie b: abt 1865 and Edward b: abt 1873 so I can add this branch to my family tree.

And then there is Thomas Conlon living with the Doyles in 1910. Ah, the Irish cousins.

5 comments:

  1. In regards to the death of Mary Conlon born 1873, On www.italiangen.org there are 2 Mary Conlon's that might fit her in regards to a death record.
    1. Mary Conlon age 33 at death, died Sept 17, 1906 Cert# 29307
    2. Mary Conlon age 34 at death, died Mar 6 1907 Cert# 8082

    You would have to get these death certificates to see which one is her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin: This is very helpful. Thanks for the information.

      Delete
  2. Sorry...both of these are in Manhattan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, looks like Edward and Mary Conlon had at least one more child. I found a death record for a James Conlon who was born probably in 1901. He died on Aug 2 1901 at 1505 Lexington Ave in NYC which is the address that Edward and Mary lived on the 1905 NY Census. His age is listed as 0. Parents are Mary and Edward Conlon. I also find a child named Thomas Conlon with parents Mary and Edward Conlon who died in Manhattan on Jul 20 1896 at the age of 0. May be another child of theirs. I have 2 marriage records which could be Edward and Mary's:
    1. Edward J. Conlon to Mary Woods Jan 14, 1896 in Manhattan cert# 980
    1. Edward Conlon to Mary Maguire Nov 12, 1896 in Manhattan cert# 17935.
    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps a lot. The marriage certs might name Margaret (Maggie) or Patrick Doyle as attending.

      Delete