Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Samuel and Mary Hibbard Agard


Samuel Agard

Last Saturday I attended a Family Search website training session.  Because my husband volunteers at the local Family History Center, over the winter I was able to beta test and build my family tree on this site. The site has evolved and we can now add individual photos as well as many other options that I won't get into here.  We were shown how to easily capture source citations, build a source box, and about the Research Wiki that provides free family history research advice.

As soon as we arrived home I began adding photos to the folks that were on my tree. In that process I realized I had not touched the Agard side of my family for many, many years. When I originally researched that side of my mother’s paternal line I hugged the tree closely, not venturing out onto the branches. Consequently when I started to add people, I realized I didn't have even basic information on some of these folks.  

I decided to start with the children of Noah b: 1823 and Rebecca (Fletcher) Agard b: 1824.  Noah and Rebecca lived in the Town of Dix, then the Town of Hector, Schuyler County, New York. They had six children, the first, Samuel, was born 13 September 1853.

Samuel Agard married Mary E. Hibbard (b: September 1851) in 1880. That year their nephew Carl Hibbard b: 1877 lived with them. By 1900 the couple lived in Colorado Springs, El Pasco County, Colorado. Samuel worked as a carpenter; Carl is listed as their "adopted son," with Carl's occupation listed as “soldier.”[1] 

I don’t know what prompted Samuel and Mary to relocate to the newly formed town of Riverside, California (founded 1870). Possibly they were drawn by the availability of carpenter work for Samuel. Riverside is located on the Santa Ana River and is home of the historic Mission Inn.  

Mary H. Agard died in 1907 at the age of 56; Samuel died 10 November 1908 at the age of 55. They are buried in Loc 27-6 of the Evergreen Memorial Historic Cemetery, Riverside, California.[2]  Evergreen Memorial Historic Cemetery has an interesting history. You may want to check it out. 



[1] Information on Samuel, Mary H. Agard and Carl Hibbard in the section from following the U.S. Federal Census 1860 through 1900.
[2] Agard, Frederick Browning, Agards in America, New Orleans. Polyanthos, 1976, p. 44.

No comments:

Post a Comment