Friday, April 1, 2016

Privacy Issues

I received three emails last night from someone who helps people fill out information on their Findagrave entries. That is a very nice hobby and I commend them for their good work.

However ... what he sent me was three obituaries - for my parents and grandmother. Obviously I have these already, and so today I responded explaining the reason the obits are not part of my Findagrave entry was because the obits contain names of living persons. 

I think sometimes in our excitement over what we can share about our ancestors we forget there are privacy issues. We as genealogists should never publish names, dates and locations of living people.

In other news, we are back digitizing Fredericksburg marriage records, and finished 1895 and 1896 today.


No comments:

Post a Comment